Newman Brothers Coffin Works Company History

Newman Brothers were originally brass founders, established in 1882, by two brothers, Alfred and Edwin Newman. They originally operated from premises in Nova Scotia Street in what is the Eastside area of Birmingham today. As brass founders their…

What’s Happening Now

Apartment Block Could Overshadow Cemeteries

JQH has objected to planning permission for a 7-8 storey development on the following points: The change of use from Industrial to residential use on the Mr Tyre site in Pitsford Street…

Multi-million Pound Boost to Jewellery Quarter

Variety Works (YBA Publications) On 22nd October 2015 it was announced that three projects in The Jewellery Quarter will share more than £3.25million in grants from the Heritage…

Warstone Lane & Key Hill Cemeteries Restoration Plans

Plans have been submitted to transform Warstone Lane and Key Hill cemeteries, both in the Jewellery Quarter. The plans include a series of long-awaited improvements to the cemeteries, which have a long…

Lifetstyle then – what it was like

Starting Work at 15 in The Jewellery Quarter in 1954

Getting a job or career was so different back in the 1950’s. Here is one person’s account of getting a job at John Goode & Sons back in 1954, and the circumstances surrounding the appointment. ‘I was 15 years old and just left Secondary Modern school…

Sutton’s Original Shop in Warstone Lane

‘Sutton Tools’ original shop, which supplied tools and materials to the trade, was situated next to the Warstone Lane Cemetery Lodge. The picture dates from 1884 and is well worth studying in detail. Look how much stock is crammed into the windows (upstairs and down) -…

Made In The Jewellery Quarter

Mesh-guard Watch Protector

An improved form of 'Mesh-Guard for wristlet watches is placed on the market by the manufacturers, Midland Utilities, Ltd., 32-34 Regent Place, Birmingham.…

W J Dingley

This silver trophy of 150 oz. was made by ten craftsmen at the Birmingham works of W. J. Dingley Ltd. It will be…

Historical Buildings

Newman Coffin Works Building

13/15 Fleet Street Newman Brothers before restoration ‘Nos 13-15 Fleet Street…

The School of Jewellery, Vittoria Street

The growth of the jewellery trade in the late 19th century created a demand for…

The Standard Works

43-47 Vittoria Street and 9 Regent Place The Future Glasshouse College is breathing life back…

Important Historical Events

Jewellery Quarter Station

Shame this never happened: ED Source: The Hockley Flyer issue 99 1993, (Charles Smith of Connell…

Preservation of the Icknield Street Boulder

Professor Kay superintending the placing of the Boulder in its new…

General Grant’s Visit to the Jewellery Quarter

When the Ex-president of the United States honoured Birmingham with his presence, the Municipal Authorities…

Company History

Nathaniel Mills (Silversmith)

Famous for his well-constructed boxes, Nathaniel Mills was born in 1811 and worked for his father, Nathaniel, who had earlier…

Thomas Sutton (Birmingham) Ltd

Thomas Sutton – known in the industry as Sutton Tools – had traded from Birmingham’s Jewellery Quarter since 1884 with…

Newman Brothers Coffin Works Company History

Newman Brothers were originally brass founders, established in 1882, by two brothers, Alfred and Edwin Newman. They originally operated from…