Published quarterly we capture the history and atmosphere of the developing Jewellery Quarter in print for future generations, as well as todays! Plus finding out some amazing facts and stories, some never told before!
- Preface – Issue 2 of The Jewellery Quarter Heritage Magazine has been a pleasure to put together.
- Rip Van Winkle – Don’t be surprised if one day on Newhall Hill you meet a strange looking character.
Washington Irving’s Nephew
- Argent Centre Restoration – The restoration works at the Grade II* listed Argent Centre on Frederick Street were revealed early 2021 after a year long project.
- Argent Centre – One of the few buildings in The Quarter that can claim to be of outstanding architectural importance is the Argent Centre. The building is notable within the Quarter for its ornate architectural detailing, and for its flat-roofed and fireproof construction.
- Wiley & Co. Ltd – Gold Pen & Pencil Manufacturers
- Short History of Pen Manufacture in Birmingham – Birmingham was the centre of the world pen trade for more than a century, employing thousands of people and pioneering craftsmanship, manufacturing processes and employment opportunities for women.
- Obituary – Brian Jones MBE – The sudden death of Brian Jones MBE was announced on Friday 31st January 2014.
- George & Dragon, Pig and Tail, and Dayus Square – After many years of neglect, the George & Dragon Public house on the corner of Carver Street and Albion Street has been restored to its former ‘glory’, but is now known as the ‘Pig and Tail’
- Square Named After Birmingham Author Kathleen Dayus
- Pig and Tail Public House – Formerly known as the The George and Dragon Public House. it is a listed Grade II Listed Building, first listed on 08 Jul 1982
- Albion Court Re-Development – In the 1920’s the block bounded by Tenby Street/Albion Street/Carver Street/Tenby Street North was a block of back-to-back houses.
- Smith & Pepper 1899 – 1981 – The founders of Smith & Pepper were Charles Smith (1867-1933) and Edwin Pepper (1858-1935). Edwin Pepper was Charles Smith’s uncle. Both of them worked in Charles Smith’s father’s jewellery manufacturing firm, Smith & Ewen.
- T L Mott – Originators of Butterfly Wing Jewellery
- Sutton’s Original Shop in Warstone Lane – ‘Sutton Tools’ original shop, which supplied tools and materials to the trade, was situated next to the Warstone Lane Cemetery Lodge.
- The Origins of the Birmingham Assay Office – In England, offices for the assay and hallmarking of gold and silver date back to the year 1300 when a Statute of Edward 1 instituted our Hallmarking System.
- Assay Office Birmingham Begins ‘Farewell’ to Newhall Street
- Assay Office Birmingham Opens the Doors to New Purpose-built Facility – After 137 years of being based in its historic workplace.
- First Ever Public Library for Birmingham Opened 1861 on Constitution Hill – The Free Libraries Committee was set up in 1860. They had already decided by May of that year that there should be a central newsroom, lending and reference library; and four district libraries. These were set up in the 1860’s.
- Spring Hill – A Library to Savour – ‘One of the golden rules in life is Never Go Back. Yet as someone brought up in Hockley after the Second World War, I keep going back to my old haunts, even though they no longer exist for the most part.
- Smith, Ewen & Stylic Ltd. – Celebrating their hundredth birthday in 1968 were the Birmingham firm of Smith, Ewen & Stylic Ltd., manufacturers and Patentees of ‘Stylic’ Watch Cases, Milanese Expanders, Lockets and other Jewellery made in Gold, R.G., Silver, Chrome, Paste and Marcasite.
- Turner & Simpson – Turner & Simpson, a partnership, (First registered Trade Mark 1912) were manufacturers of Medals, Cups, Shields, Badges, Spoons, Enamelled Goods, Souvenirs, Civic Regalia, etc. and occupied the premises at 12/16 Legge Lane from Edwardian times until 1984, when they were acquired by the Birmingham Mint.
- W F Green & Sons – Metal Merchant – The surname ‘Green’ has been around the Jewellery Quarter for many centuries, this story is from the 1700s and features W F Green & Sons – Metal Merchants – of Water Street and 10 St Paul’s Square.
- Yard-O-Led – The Yard-O-Led Pencil Company was founded in 1934 by Leopold Frederick Brenner
- The Pemberton Family – A Famous Toymaking Family – There were several well established families of toy makers, whose work was of a consistently high quality, who contributed most to the continued success and expansion of the toy trade in Birmingham in the late 18th and early 19th C.
- HRH Prince Charles – Investiture Crown
- MADE IN THE J. Q. – The Jewellery Quarter, Birmingham, was and still is, world famous for its Jewellery and Silver goods, but it also had manufacturers for just about anything else… Heres a few of them…
- Press Cuttings – News items connected to The Jewellery Quarter, Birmingham, from various sources going back to the 18th century!
- Addendum – Additional Items found out since the previous magazines were printed.
A5 size, 84 pages with no advertsing (except old adverts in company features!) Mixture of colour and black and white photos throughout). Card cover laminated.
|Dimensions||148 × 210 cm|