At last the first issue is out now and below is the content of this first issue.
Published quarterly we capture the history and atmosphere of the developing Jewellery Quarter in print for future generations, as well as todays! Plus finding out some amazing facts and stories, some never told before!
To Purchase CLICK HERE
- Preface – Well, it’s here at last, and we do mean at last as this new quarterly heritage magazine has been talked about for a long time..
- Birmingham’s Jewellery Quarter The story of The Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham covers over three hundred years of industrial innovation and craft tradition, booms and slumps. It portrays the progressive character of the Birmingham entrepreneur in establishing the City as ‘The Workshop of the World’.
- Kaye House – Home of Charles Edge: Architect Kaye House, a very large house overlooking the Key Hill Cemetery site (the former sand quarry) was the home of Charles Edge (Architect) 1800-1867
- Restoration to JQ Cemeteries – A £2.3 million restoration to Key Hill Cemetery and Warstone Lane Cemetery is near completion.
- The Four Museums of The Jewellery Quarter Birmingham’s Jewellery Quarter surely has the most exclusive collection of Museums in the world, and all within easy walking distance of each other.
- The New Standard Works, The Hive Cafe and Heritage Hub Owners, the Ruskin Mill Land Trust, have been refurbishing the building in stages over the last few years at 43-47 Vittoria Street and 9 Regent Place
- General Grant’s Visit to Birmingham On 17th October 1887 General Grant Visited the Jewellery Quarter
- The Canning Story – 1785-1985 Cannings, along with other major industries such as Joseph Lucas, Swan Kettles, Rabones, etc. has long since disappeared but at one time all were major players in the history of manufacturing, not only in The Jewellery Quarter, but in Birmingham.
- Original Assay Office Birmingham In 1877-78, it cost £9,448 to build he first part of the Assay Office on the present site in Birmingham.
- Kenyon Street Police Station Kenyon Street Police station became the headquarters of C Division of the Birmingham City Police in 1862 covering the Hockley, St Paul’s, and Newtown districts.
- Fire Station – Albion Street It was mid-December in 1909 when on a bitterly cold day: ‘Councillor T Brown, Chairman of the Birmingham Fire Brigade Sub-committee, laid the foundation stone of a new fire station in Albion Street, the fourth in the scheme to provide the city with well-equipped stations.
- John Goode & Sons, 1830-1960 Gold Chain Manufacturers and Goldsmiths, Quality Works, Gt. Hampton Street, Birmingham
- More Memories from John Goode & Sons In 1954
- Starting Work at 15 in The JQ in 1954
- The School of Jewellery, Vittoria Street The growth of the jewellery trade in the late 19th century created a demand for technical education in the craft, and in 1888 the Birmingham Jewellers’ and Silversmiths’ Association and the Municipal School of Art began classes at the Ellen Street School to the west of the Quarter.
- A ‘Temple of Relief’ The green painted Victorian Gent’s ‘Pissoir’ in Vyse Street (right next to the railway station), known as ‘The Temple of Relief’ and Listed by English Heritage was made at the Walter Macfarlane foundry in Saracen, Scotland in 1880.
- J R Gaunt & Son Ltd The name of J R Gaunt & Son used to be prominent in the Quarter but is now almost forgotten, other than by those who have worked here for decades.
- Kinsey Bros. and Patrick Ltd The Hallmark of Originality since 1885
- Betts and Sons – Sweep Smelters and Refiners Alexander Betts came from Battle in Sussex to the village of Birmingham to set up a smelting and refining business
- E J Clewley & Co. Founded 1890 This old established firm, having been in existence, partly, for nearly a century.
- ‘They Specialize for the Smoker’ The firm of Harman Bros. Ltd in Vyse Street, was founded in 1923.
- Albert Carter – Art in Enamel The firm of Albert Carter was built up mainly by concentration on modern art as applied to silver and enamel-ware.
- Blanckensee & Sons – Everything In Silver and Plate In Bristol in the year 1826, Solomon Blanckensee, a dealer in jewellery, began trading in his own name.
- HSBC Bank (formerly The Midland Bank) The HSBC Bank is on the corner of Warstone Lane/Vyse Street
- Barclays Bank Barclays Bank, Frederick Street has a long history in the heart of the Jewellery Quarter.
- Press Cuttings – Lots of news from way back