It falls within the Industrial Middle of the Jewellery Quarter Conservation Area and is Grade II Listed which means that it is vital to preserve not only external features but items internally which are of historic value, such as fireplaces, architraving, plasterwork, staircases etc. and any alterations must also comply with The Jewellery Quarter Design Guide.
Prior to the Squirrel Works being built in 1905 for S J Levi & Co, in 1852 the site was occupied by Thomas Aston (1841) and Latham & Morton (mid 18th Century).
‘The Squirrel’ from where the building got its name was the Trade Mark of S J Levi & Co., who were manufacturers of Antique Silver and EPNS goods for domestic and hotel use, including metal cigarette cases, tobacconist and stationery sundries, under the Trade Name ‘Leviathan’. In 1919 they were also manufacturing EPNS ‘Perfecta’ cigarette cases.
The present owners of The Squirrel Works lodged a Planning Application for change of use with the lower ground floor to car parking, upper ground floor to office space and first floor to 5 x residential flats with associated external alterations.
Permission was granted in September 2015 along with the usual ‘Subject to Conditions’.
Source: The Hockley Flyer 362 by Marie & Mark Haddleton