‘In 1860 when HMS Warrior, the world’s first iron-clad battleship was built, Bocock, George & Harvie of Hockley, produced the brass oil lights and now, (in 1987) 126 years later have won the order to replace the old-fashioned gangway lights.

HMS Warrior was once the world’s fastest, longest and most powerful warship and was being refitted in Tyneside before going to The Ships Museum in Portsmouth.’

Source: The Hockley Flyer No 36 1987

Share

more recommended stories